Bayou Desiard is one of our region’s best assets. It provides our drinking water and recreation opportunities. We take our responsibility as a steward of Bayou Desiard seriously because the health of the Bayou affects us all.
Monroe Water uses surface water drawn from Bayou Desiard as the source of our drinking water. The Ouachita River is our secondary source. The water that eventually ends up in your home starts about 15 miles out before being treated to ensure it is safe to drink.
- Length 241 miles
- Maximum Width 57 miles
- Average Depth 62 feet
- Maximum Depth 210 feet
- Volume 127.6 trillion gallons
- Surface Area 9,910 square miles
- Drainage area 30,140 square miles
- Shoreline 871 miles
- Retention time 2.6 years
Bayou Desiard is Constantly Monitored
Because Bayou Desiard is so important to so many people, we constantly monitor changing environmental issues that might threaten the health and vitality of this great resource.
Bayou Condition Webcam
To see a live view of the bayou and its current condition, click
Water Quality & Treatment
￼The quality of your water matters. That’s why our water quality experts have implemented such a thorough water treatment process. Our team is dedicated to making sure your drinking water exceeds U.S. Environmental Protection Agency drinking water standards.
Help Protect Our Bayou
At Monroe Water we believe that we are all stewards of the bayou . There are several ways area residents and businesses can help protect Bayou Desiard.
What you can do to help protect our bayou:
- Remove trash and debris from sewers and storm sewers
- Dispose of household wastes such as fertilizers, pesticides, paints, paint thinners and motor oil properly
- Prevent soil erosion by planting trees, grass or shrubs along streams and rivers
- Support local watershed groups as well as other organizations dedicated to protecting the environment